I’m not usually a proponent of using box mixes. It’s often just as easy to mix up the ingredients yourself and skip the shelf stabilizers and other weird chemicals. But sometimes, life intervenes. You need a hack. You need chocolate funfetti cupcakes fast.
In that case, the box can be your friend. I don’t judge.
This recipe uses boxed chocolate cake mix and instant pudding as quick hacks to get these chocolate funfetti cupcakes in the oven fast.
I won’t claim the hack makes the funfetti cupcakes taste any better but topped with a light, whipped chocolate buttercream, no one was complaining. Least of all the birthday girl.
I tend to like my buttercream a little less sweet and a little more whipped. Feel free to adjust
- 1/2 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 Tbsp. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 /2 cup milk
- 1/8 cup oil
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
- CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- ~3 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Sprinkles To Top
- Line cupcake pan with liners. Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, and milk at low speed until incorporated then beat on medium/high for a full minute. Fold in sprinkles.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350F, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooking/cooling, make the chocolate buttercream. In a large mixing bowl cream butter at medium speed until smooth. Add extract and mix until combined. Add in powdered sugar one cup at a time then add cocoa beating slightly between each addition. Add milk 1 Tbsp. at a time beating in between additions until you reach your desired consistency.
- Pipe cupcakes with large star tip, add sprinkles.